Legal Clerk Cover Letter
Legal Clerk Cover Letter is an important document for a fresh law graduate. A properly composed letter can give the graduate a dream start to his professional career. It is important to remember that the position of a legal clerk is used by law graduates as a starting step in their legal career. They usually take up this position before applying for a legal license. The cover letter, therefore, should demonstrate the fact that the candidate is dam serious about the opportunity.
Also needing to be depicted, is the readiness of the candidate to act as an assistant to fully qualified attorneys and judges. This involves duties like conducting preliminary research, filing documents and motions in courts, collection and filing of supporting evidence, communication with all authorities and witnesses related to a case, preparation of legal documents, interviewing witnesses and making arrangements for their stay and travel if the occasion demands so. On numerous occasions, the candidate will have to go out of the way and work way after the office timings to complete his duties. This expression of readiness is an in important part of this cover letter.
Legal Clerk Cover Letters should bring out all these skills of the candidate along with necessary traits like excellent communication, organization, and time management. The candidate will do well to bring out his decision making and discretion related skills that in almost all professions, define the difference between the competent and the ordinary. Another area that deserves special mention is the power of persuasion. On many occasions, the candidate will be required to plead with judges and other authorities. Later as a full lawyer, he has to plead with the jury and fine tuned persuasion can make a huge difference.
Here is an example of legal clerk cover letter:
December 9, 2011
2 Trinity Place,
San Antonio, TX 78212
Mills & Bradford Law Firm,
San Antonio, TX 78209
Dear Mr. Broody,
This is with reference to your advertisement in the "San Antonio Express", dated December 4, 2011, inviting applications for the post of a legal clerk in your reputed institution. I am a fresh graduate in law with specialization in corporate law. I am a self motivated individual. I share your strong belief in ethics in corporate governance, which is the reason for making an application with your organization.
My academic career has been excellent and I have maintained top grades throughout my studies at all levels. I have completed my graduation from the reputed Rice University, Texas. During graduation, I have been involved with case studies about corporate fraud. I have also had the fortune of informally assisting the legal team of eminent lawyer Mr. Richard Greene. The experience was profound, to say the least. It provided me with firsthand knowledge and experience of the maze of activities in the corporate world.
During this stint, I provided assistance in activities like conduction of preliminary legal research, linking different parts of a case to produce a complete presentation, interviewing witnesses and, when necessary, arranging for their transport and stay; preparation of legal documents, arranging meetings with and relaying messages and documents to related attorneys and judges, filing documents with courts, and collection of supporting evidence.
I am well aware that sometimes this job makes a person's routine variable. I have good communication, research, time management, and organization skills. If given the opportunity, I will continue to go out of the way for execution of my responsibilities. I have attached my resume with this letter. You can contact me on the telephone number or the email address mentioned above.
Legal Clerk Cover Letter should brief the recruiter of the necessary skill set that the candidate possesses. Since this position is a stepping stone to a brighter career in the legal discipline, the readiness of the candidate to take the lead in completing tasks is an essential attribute.
Finding a rewarding legal career means establishing the right employer connections. A well-worded cover letter is an excellent way to sell your professional accomplishments and experience, helping you stand out among a pool of job applicants. Take a look at the attached legal assistant cover letter example and the following writing tips to get a better idea of how to handle writing a successful, job-winning cover letter.
- Don’t simply restate your resume. Your cover letter is an opportunity to expound on the information you’ve already provided. Share how your experiences have shaped you both personally and professionally.
- Do cater your skills and experiences toward the position at hand. If you’re unsure of which jobs and skills to include, create a word cloud from related job descriptions to find common key phrases, such as document drafting” or interrogatories.”
- Don’t be generic. Avoid general phrases that could be about any industry or position.
- Do consider including a headline that captures employers’ attention. There is no steadfast formatting rule, so feel free to experiment.
Legal Assistant Advice
Looking for a career in the law? Consider a career as a legal assistant. A legal assistant provides support to a lawyer or firm by performing legal research, drafting documents, and trial preparation. Legal assistants require training, solid writing and research abilities, and an impressive cover letter. Use the cover letter examples below as a guide in drafting your paralegal cover letter. Designed specifically for legal assistants, these cover letter examples will show you what employers are looking for, so you can get more interviews and start working sooner.
Cover Letter Tips for Legal Assistant
Locating jobs as a Legal Assistant which are appropriate for any skill level can be a bit of a challenge, just as finding a job anywhere in the United States in the current economy can be difficult. However, there are a few tips any applicant can follow in order to increase the productivity of their job search while simultaneously reducing stress.
1. Take advantage of job fairs in the area in order to learn more about the local job market while discovering new opportunities.
2. Attend classes which help those searching for jobs to sharpen their interviewing skills.
3. Never give up on a job lead unless the employer responds with a concrete no. ” Otherwise, there may still be a chance to obtain the desired position.
4. Maintain a strong online presence on social media websites; it is estimated that nearly 45% of employers now pull recruits from sites such as Facebook and LinkedIn.
5. Face-to-face networking can be just as important as online connections. Getting your reputation out there is always a good thing.
Legal Assistant Job Seeking Tips
Regardless of the amount of experience or education someone has, the real way to open doors to nearly all of the jobs as a Legal Assistant is the creation of a great cover letter. Though there is oftentimes a great deal of debate concerning what makes a perfect cover letter, there are some qualities which they should definitely display.
1. Wording should be consistent, clear and concise in order to ensure that no date is misrepresented.
2. Never lie on a cover letter. If any information is found to be false, it could be a grounds for immediate dismissal further down the line.
3. When listing education or work experience, it’s best to list the information in reverse chronological order.
4. Ideally, a good cover letter should be between 1 and 2 pages long, with 2 pages being reserved for those with extensive experience in the field.
5. Using a splash of color in the wording or a unique layout can help any cover letter stand out from the stack.